10 Ways to Lose Weight Easily
If you're struggling to lose weight, here are 10 tips to help you stay lean. Remember, losing weight doesn't mean starving yourself. It means that your eating habits, food, and portion sizes are healthy. Moderation is key, and we embrace that philosophy here at French Lunch.
1. Drink water!! We can't stress this enough. Skip the colas, the juices & the shakes whenever you can. Drink whenever you feel thirsty, and drink some more water when you feel hot. No need to drink 8 ounces a day!
2. Figure out the amount of calories you burn daily using a calorie calculator or guide. If you don't want to bother with that, then just remember this baseline: men need 2,500 kcal a day while women need 2,000 kcal a day. Eat accordingly.
3. Related to the above tip: the average healthy meal is around 700 to 800 calories. If you don't feel like calorie-counting, then just make sure you don't snack too often. That giant fudge brownie can be sliced in half and saved for later. Three meals a day + lots of water in-between = no more hunger pangs after a few weeks!
4. Speaking of three meals a day, keep a consistent eating schedule. Eat at the same time each day no matter what. In Europe, eating times are strict. You absolutely can't skip a meal!
5. Chew your food. Take time to eat. Too many of us rush through meals these days. Part of the traditional family dinner not only helps you bond with others, but also meters your eating habits. Slow, thoughtful chewing means better digestion and more enjoyment. Don't you want to enjoy your food? Don't eat mindlessly!
6. Smaller utensils. Yup, you read right. If you use smaller plates, you'll trick your tummy into thinking that you're eating the same amount, when in reality, you're eating less. You'll get used to eating small & healthy portions this way without stressing out.
7. Cheat days are a-okay. Not all of us can go cold turkey. No need stress yourself out over not eating healthy 100% of the time. Treat yourself and you won't hate yourself! Go ahead and eat the junk food of your choice... but in small portions. 1-3 cookies, 1-2 pieces of chocolate, 1 small milkshake, etc.
8. Eat a wide variety of foods from different cultures. When attempting to lose weight, people often get stuck in a rut. You might think that only one type of diet and one type of meal plan will lose you weight. Nope! Instead, make eating a fun & healthy activity by exploring different cuisines. Mediterranean, Thai, African, Latin American.... all cuisines have healthy meals. You're not limited to just one!
9. Eat fatty foods. Wait... eating high-fat foods when you're trying to lose fat? What is this lunacy? Traditional nutritionists dictate that we should eat less fat. But the keto diet says otherwise. This high-fat, low-calorie diet encourages fats & protein from animals and vegetables, but absolutely no grains!
No need to follow the keto diet completely. Eat healthy fat like eggs, fish, steamed vegetables, butter, cheese, etc. more and your hunger pangs will go away. Eat grain some days, not every day. Alternate between no-grain days and grain days for a healthy balance.
10. Exercise. The dreaded word many of us don't want to hear. Lean bodies are made in the kitchen, yes. But exercise not only helps you maintain weight, it also helps your body with the aging process. Think about it this way: do you want to be old & frail, or old & strong? If you don't want to spend your retirement money on health bills, get your joins in action! Even just walking a mile or so a day helps.
Visit https://frenchlunch.ca for all your health needs. 5% discount on frozen and packaged items for Presto card users! 187 Cross Avenue. Be there.
- Nina Zaitseva